• Notify the occupants of the importance of proper testing conditions. Give the occupants written instructions or a copy of this Guide and explain the directions carefully.
  • When doing a short-term test ranging from 2-4 days, it is important to maintain closed-house conditions for at least 12 hours before the beginning of the test and during the entire test period.
  • When doing a short-term test ranging from 4-7 days, EPA recommends that closed-house conditions be maintained.
  • If you hire someone to do the test, hire only a qualified individual. Some states issue photo identification (ID) cards; ask to see it (Idaho does not, but we are nationally certified). The tester's ID number, if available, should be included or noted in the test report.
  • The test should include method(s) to prevent or detect interference with testing conditions or with the testing device itself.
  • If the house has an active radon-reduction system, make sure the vent fan is operating properly. If the fan is not operating properly, have it (or ask to have it) repaired and then run the test.
If your home has not yet been tested for Radon, have a test taken as soon as possible. If you can, test your home before putting it on the market. You should test in the lowest level of the home which is suitable for occupancy. This means testing in the lowest level that you currently live in or a lower level not currently used, but which a buyer could use for living space.

The radon test result reveals important information about your home's radon level. Some states require radon measurement testers to follow a specific testing protocol. If you do the test yourself, you should carefully follow the testing protocol for your area or EPA's Radon Testing Checklist. If you hire a contractor to test your residence, protect yourself by hiring a qualified individual or company. Idaho Radon is one such company. Others can be found on the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB) registry (there are no others in Idaho). We are it. We have completed courses in formal radon education, and we are certified by the National Radon Safety Board, Environmental Solutions Association (ESA) and International Association Of Certified Home Inspectors (INACHI). We use the very latest in portable high technology instruments available: the RAD-7 from Durridge.

Most states can provide you with a list of knowledgeable radon service providers doing business in the state. In states that don't regulate radon services (Idaho does not), ask the contractor if he holds a professional proficiency or certification credential. Such programs usually provide members with a photo-ID card which indicates their qualification(s) and its expiration date. If in doubt, you should check with the organization that issue the credential. Alternatively, ask the contractor if they've successfully completed formal training appropriate for testing or for mitigation, e.g., a course in radon measurement or radon mitigation. For the true professionals call Idaho Radon today at 208-994-9655.

If you are thinking of selling your home and you have already tested your home for radon, provide your test results to the potential buyer.